Android may be on the rise exponentially, but it still has a long way to go if it has to get anywhere near the market share of the iPhone OS.
9% of the smartphones under the survey ran Android OS, while 28% were running on iPhone OS. The leader in the smartphone market was the Research In Motion(RIM) Blackberry OS with 34%, while Windows mobile cam in third at 19%. RIM and Microsoft’s Operating systems showed a 2% decline in market share as compared to Q4 2009 while the other two rose 2% each. Though the rise was nearly same on total percentage, the percentage rise of Android OS share, from 7% to 9% is more significant than that of iPhone’s 26% to 28%.Android phones are coming out in various sizes from different brands,having varying specifications. This is sure to favor the operating system as compared to the iPhone OS which comes only on one phone, with a contract, with a fixed spec sheet, which is not too impressive either. But all that is set to change as Apple’s fourth generation iPhone is expected to launch sometime this year.